BASIC INFORMATION ABOUT CAMBODIA
- CAPITAL: Phnom Penh
- LOCATION, SIZE: Situated in the southwest corner of the Indochina Peninsula, Cambodia is bounded on the ne by Laos, on the e and se by Vietnam, on the sw by the Gulf of Thailand. Comparatively, the area occupied by Cambodia is slightly smaller than the state of Okla-homa.
- CLIMATE: The climate is tropical, with a wet season from May through November and a dry season from December to April. Temperatures range from 68–97°f (10–38°c), and humidity is consistently high.
- POPULATION: The population of Cambodia is 16.01 million (2017), based on the United Nations estimates. The UN estimated that 21.3% of the population lived in urban areas in 2017 and a great majority of the people live in rural area. The median age in Cambodia is 24.2 years.
- ETHNIC GROUPS: Over 90% of the entire population are ethnic Khmers, descendants of the original population in the area. The largest minority groups are the Vietnamese, estimated at 5% of the population, and the Chinese, estimated at 1%.
- LANGUAGES: Khmer, the national language, is spoken by about 95% of all inhabitants. French, the second language, is often used in commercial and official circles. The Vietnamese and the Chinese use their own languages, as do other minorities. English is also spoken.
- RELIGIONS: Buddhism has been the state religion since 1989. About 95% of all inhabitants practice either Hinayana or Theravada Buddhism. It is believed that most people also practice some forms of animism. Islam is about 2%. Christianity is less than 1%.
(source: encyclopedia.com, worldometers.info, en.wikipedia.org)